Stickers are one of the popular elements in most messaging applications that make it possible for users to express feelings and convey concepts in chats. Among different messengers, Telegram provides advanced and diverse facilities and capabilities in the field of stickers to those interested, with the help of which static and moving images can be used. Making a sticker in Telegram is not very complicated and without prior knowledge, it can be done in a relatively short period of time.
To make non-moving stickers in Telegram, you will only need suitable images to use. Of course, creating animated stickers is a bit more complicated; For this reason, in the following, we will only examine and explain the method of making fixed items.
How to make Telegram stickers
It is possible to design suitable stickers to add to Telegram with special image editor software. Of course, there is no need to be highly skilled in using editor programs, and in most cases, they are used to remove the background of images or add text to them.
Telegram has specified some essential prerequisites for sticker files, which include the following:
- Images used must be saved in separate files in “PNG” or “WEBP” format.
- The background of the images must be transparent.
- The length and width of the images should be 512 x 512 pixels.
Users can use many image editing software to create a suitable sticker for Telegram, among the most popular ones are Adobe Photoshop and GIMP. Also, SVG-edit is one of the online and free options to do this, which can be a good replacement for the previous titles. In the following, we will discuss how to do this in the GIMP program.
1. If needed, download and install the “GIMP” program from the official website of its developer (gimp.org). This software is available for desktop operating systems such as Windows, Mac OS, and Linux for free.
2. Run GIMP and then select “New” from the “File” menu. You can also use the combination key “Ctrl + N“.
3. In the window “Create a New Image” and under the title “Image Size” define the values of 512 pixels for both “Width and Height” boxes. Note that the unit you choose is on pixels (px).
4. At the bottom of the previous window, click on “Advanced Options” to access advanced settings.
5. Click on the drop-down menu in front of the word “Fill with” and then select “Transparency” from the displayed items.
6. After applying the mentioned settings, click on the “Ok” button at the bottom of the window.
7. Now you can add your favorite images and designs to the “GIMP” software environment.
8. After completing the required steps, select “Export As” from the “File” menu to receive the output file.
9. At the bottom of the “Select File Type” section in the Export “Image” window, select the “PNG” option and finally press the “Export” button to save the file to the device’s memory.
Most Telegram sticker collections include 10 to 20 stickers, But users will not be limited in adding stickers to packs, and you can create as many files as you like.
Remove the background of images in GIMP
As we mentioned in the previous parts, to use images to create stickers in Telegram, you must first remove their background. According to the type of image, the GIMP software provides users with various tools to do this, some of which are easier to use, while others require more skill. If the background of the image used has a different color and structure than the main subject, it is better to remove it.
To remove the background of complex images, you can use the Fuzzy Select tool in the GIMP program. This tool allows the user to select areas of the image with the same color. To use the said tool, it is enough to go through the following steps.
1. Open the desired image in “GIMP” software.
2. In the lower right corner of the screen, select the main layer corresponding to the image. Then right-click on the desired layer and select “Add Alpha Channel“. Selecting the mentioned option will make the background transparent instead of black and white. If the said option is inactive, there is no need to select it and you can proceed with the steps.
3. Select the “Fuzzy Select” tool from the software tools panel in the upper left corner of the screen.
4. Use the “Fuzzy Select” tool to completely select the subject or background. According to the type of image, choose the easier option. To do this, it is only necessary to click on the desired part and then drag the mouse to other areas so that the program will automatically set that part to the selected state.
Of course, you can also do this manually by pressing and holding the Shift key.
5. Finally, to delete the selected part, press the “Ctrl” key in Windows or the “Cmd” key in Mac and move the mouse around the subject.
6. If you selected the background in part 4, you should now hit the “Delete” key on Windows. In macOS, to remove the background, you must click on the “Clear” option from the “Edit” menu.
7. If you have selected the subject in part 4, you must first choose “Invert” from the “Select” menu.
If many different colors are used in the background of the image, you may have to repeat the previous steps several times to achieve the desired result.
How to work with the Telegram sticker-making bot
Now you have to upload the files created in the previous steps using the Telegram sticker-making tool in this messenger application. The mentioned bot is available in the desktop or mobile version of Telegram, But Telegram itself advises users to use the desktop version.
Upload Telegram stickers with a computer
1. To start working, first enter the Telegram desktop software.
2. Inside the app, enter “Stickers” in the search bar at the top left of the screen.
3. Now click on the @Stickers bot to enter its chat page. Now you will have access to a list of commands for loading sticker files, among which /newpack and /addsticker are more useful.
4. Now enter /newpack in the message field and press Enter or select it from the command menu.
5. In the next step, you must enter a short name for your sticker collection in the message field and press the Enter key again.
6. After you have chosen your desired name for the sticker collection, you can start the process of uploading files. Drag and drop the “PNG” files created in the previous section into the Telegram chat window.
7. After uploading each file, you must also send an emoji related to it. Now the first sticker has been added to the new collection.
8. Repeat the mentioned steps for the number of stickers you want. After finishing the work, select the /publish command from the command menu or write it in the message field and press the Enter key. Now you can also upload an image in PNG format with dimensions of 100 x 100 pixels as the icon of your sticker collection. Uploading the icon image will be the same as the previous steps; But if you don’t want to do this, use the /skip command.
9. Now choose a name for your sticker collection so that other users can find your collection through it. The URL associated with your sticker collection will contain the mentioned name, which you can use to share the collection.
How to use Telegram stickers
Telegram internally does not have a place to display stickers made by other users, and if you create a new collection, you must share it manually with your friends and acquaintances. If you click on the URL associated with your collection, you can see two ways to share it, including the Share option to forward the collection directly to Telegram contacts or groups and Add Stickers to your previous collections.
How to make Telegram stickers with phone
The image format suitable for Telegram stickers is PNG and WEBP.
If you do not have access to a computer or dedicated image editing software, you can use online and dedicated tools to remove the background. Although these tools may not provide the desired result in all cases, in most cases, they are a practical and fast alternative that will be suitable for mobile users. remove.bg and removal.ai are among the websites you can use to remove the background. Also, many mobile image editing applications have such a feature.
1. After you have removed the background of your desired images, enter the Telegram application on Android or iOS.
2. Click on the search bar at the top of the page and then enter Stickers. Now select the @Stickers bot from the display options. If you have not worked with this bot in the past, you must click on the Start option at the bottom of the page to start the process.
3. Choose the /newpack option from the available commands or write it in the message box and send it.
4. Now type a short name for the new sticker set and send it.
5. Now you can start the process of uploading your desired images. Click on the paper pin icon in the bottom toolbar and then select “File“.
Next, go to the storage location of your files and select one. Be sure to note that you have uploaded the desired items as files so that they do not become compressed images.
6. After uploading each file, select an item related to the sticker from the emojis section and send it to the bot. This makes it easier to categorize and find stickers.
7. Repeat the mentioned steps for all the created files to add all of them to the collection. After finishing the work, enter /publish in the message box and then send it to the bot to complete the process of adding stickers.
8. As mentioned in the previous sections, Telegram allows users to add a 100 x 100-pixel image to be used as a collection icon. Of course, people who make stickers with mobile phones cannot easily create such icons; As a result, you can skip this step by entering the /skip command.
9. Now you need to enter a short name for your sticker collection in the message field and send it to the bot. This name will also be displayed in the web address associated with the bot and you can use it to share your collection with other users. If the short name has been used by another user in the past, Telegram will ask you to consider another title.
10. Next, Telegram will send you a link to the new collection. To add stickers to the items in your account, just click on the link and then select the Add Stickers option.
After creating and downloading new stickers, you can use them in a chat with other users. You can also send the mentioned link to other people so that they can benefit from your stickers.
Frequently asked questions about how to make Telegram stickers
- What software will be needed to make Telegram stickers?
Usually, to make Telegram stickers, you will need image editing software such as Photoshop or GIMP, so that you can remove the background of your images. Of course, online background removal tools can also be used as a practical and fast alternative to do this.
- What are the characteristics of the images needed to make a sticker in Telegram?
Telegram has considered some prerequisites for using images as stickers, among which PNG or WEBP format can be mentioned for files. Also, the length and width of the images should be 500 x 500 pixels.
- How to upload your pictures as stickers in Telegram?
To add images to create a sticker collection in Telegram, you must use the special bot with the ID @Stickers. This bot is used to create new collections or add new stickers to previous collections.