How to delete messages in WhatsApp after a long time
This tutorial explains how to delete one-way and two-way messages and conversations on WhatsApp.
The ability to delete a message in WhatsApp is one of the practical features that allows users to make it invisible if they stop sending a message. In the following article, we have gone over various solutions to delete messages in WhatsApp, along with how to delete messages in WhatsApp without any effect.
How to delete messages in WhatsApp
In general, there are two main ways to delete messages on WhatsApp. In the first method, messages are only deleted from the internal memory of the device; But other people in personal or group conversations will still be able to see the messages. In the second method, deleting the conversation on WhatsApp is done for both parties; As a result, it will no longer be possible to see the messages for any of the conversation parties. To delete a message on WhatsApp, you can follow the steps below.
- Enter a private or group conversation and briefly touch the desired message.
- After the message becomes selected, tap on the trash can icon from the top menu.
- If you want the message to be deleted only for you, select the “Delete for me” option, and if you want the message not to be visible to others, select the “Delete for everyone” option.
In the past, deleting a message on WhatsApp faced a time limit and users could only delete the conversation on WhatsApp for both parties up to 1 hour and 8 minutes after sending the message. But the mentioned limitation has improved a little in recent versions of this messenger and now it is possible to delete the message up to 2 days and 12 hours (60 hours in total) after sending the message.
Be careful when you delete the message only from the phone memory, no trace of it remains in the chat, but when you delete it for others, instead, a message like “This message was deleted” will be displayed for you and other people in that chat.
How to Delete Messages for Both Sides in WhatsApp
Although it is not possible to completely delete the conversation in WhatsApp for both parties, similar to what is in Telegram; users can delete recent messages in a two-way way. If you want to completely delete a chat from your message list, you can do the following: Although the other party can still access the messages inside the conversation.
- To delete a chat on WhatsApp, it is enough to touch and hold the desired conversation on the “Chats” page.
- After selecting the desired conversation, select the trash can icon and then click “Delete” to confirm.
How to delete archived chats on WhatsApp
Sometimes users need to delete all the chats on WhatsApp. Obviously, deleting conversations individually will be time-consuming; But fortunately, a special option has been considered for this purpose inside the application, which you can access according to the following path. It is worth noting that this method is not used to delete group chats.
- On the main page of WhatsApp (Chats), scroll down to access the archived chats by touching the “Archived” option at the bottom.
- Select and hold the desired chat to make it selected. You can also select multiple chats at the same time.
- Note that at this stage, select only private chats and do not include groups among them; Because the process of removing them is different.
- Touch the trash can icon on the top bar of the application and then click “Delete” to confirm the process of deleting chats.
How to delete all chats on WhatsApp
Sometimes users need to delete all the chats on WhatsApp. Obviously, deleting conversations individually will be time-consuming; But fortunately, a special option has been considered for this purpose inside the application, which you can access according to the following path.
- Inside the WhatsApp application, tap on the three-dot icon in the corner of the screen and select the settings” option from the opened menu”.
- Refer to the “Chats” section and select the “Chat history” option there.
- Tap on “Delete all chats” and then select “Delete Chats“. If you have selected the option displayed, the files related to the conversations will also be deleted from the device’s memory.
How to exit and delete groups on WhatsApp
Deleting a WhatsApp group is like deleting chats, But before deleting the group you have to leave it. Of course, using this method, other members of the group will still be able to access the messages. If you have admin access to the desired group, you can remove it completely by following the steps below.
- Enter the desired group and click on its title at the top of the page to access the group information section. You can also access the mentioned section by touching the three-dot icon in the corner of the screen and selecting the “Group info” option from the opened menu.
- “Tap on each member’s name, then select “Remove” from the options displayed, then tap “OK.
- After deleting all the members, go to the “Group info” page again and select the “Exit group” option. Now, on the same page, you will see a new option called “Delete group“, which will delete the group.
How to recover deleted WhatsApp chats?
In order to be able to restore your chats in WhatsApp, you need to enable the “Chat Backup” option in the settings. To enable this feature:
- Go to the WhatsApp settings menu.
- Select the Chats option.
- Select the Chat Backup option.
- In this section, you can choose how often your chats will be backed up. You can choose options such as daily, weekly, monthly, or never.
Frequently asked questions about How to delete messages in WhatsApp
- How many methods are there to delete messages on WhatsApp?
The method of deleting the entire conversation, which will appear for you by clicking on that chat.
- Can deleted messages be restored?
When you delete a message, you are immediately given the option to go back, but after that, there is no way to recover deleted messages.
- When a message is sent, how many minutes do we have to delete the message?
You have the opportunity to delete your messages as long as the recipient has not read the entire message and a blue sign appears under the message.
In this tutorial, we explained about “How to delete messages in WhatsApp“. If you also know another solution, share it with us.